Sainte-Marie among the Hurons is now older than the original mission by the Jesuits. The aging of the buildings would not have been present on the original buildings. The original buildings were burnt to the ground when the mission was abandoned to prevent the Iroquois from using them. The Iroquois had defeated the local Huron-Wendat people.

"Ontario’s first European Community, Sainte-Marie was the headquarters for the French Jesuit Mission to the Huron-Wendat people. In 1639, the Jesuits, along with French lay workers, began construction of a palisaded community that included barracks, a church, workshops, residences, and a sheltered area for Indigenous visitors. By 1648, Sainte-Marie was home to 66 French men — one-fifth of the entire population of New France. Sainte-Marie’s history ended in 1649, when members of the mission community were forced to abandon and burn their home of ten years."
Sainte-Marie among the HuronsWork table in storage / preserve roomCooking fire in storage shedBlacksmith making nailsOne of the churchsDining HallKitchen with Grinding WheelOutside of ChurchSainte-Marie among the HuronsSainte-Marie among the HuronsStore for ClothesWork tableCarpentry ShopContrast - Church to First Nation Long HouseHuron-Wendat Long HouseInside Long HouseInside Long HouseInside Long House

Categories & Keywords
Subcategory Detail: